December 25, 2013

Crash Burn, When Will I learn

A favorite song of mine from The Blues Travelers titled Crash Burn the lyrics are simple but the wailing guitar and blazing harmonica gets me excited... it's incendiary.  Many times this song finds itself on my playlist before workouts and races. If you have not listened to the track you should give it a listen.

The winter is suppose to be the low risk time of the year, base. Hours on the bike, in the pool, and on the run "put hay in the barn" build fitness for the future. Most importantly build good habits that I can carry over to harder workouts. Low Risk

Okay, okay... I took a silly risk. Decided to go for a ride on a cold 28 degree morning.
Why? Because I wanted to. It was a good idea.

During warmup I was excited and anxious about the first frozen ride of the year. I hit my first right-turn. Not realizing that my tires where actually hockey pucks. No traction and my bike came out from underneath me. Caught off guard and still gripping the handlebars I came down onto my right hip.

Immediate assessment... not broken... keep going... get back on the saddle. The 40 minutes pass and the initial shock subsides. I'm hurting. Time to go home.

I was lucky, it could have been much worse. Slamming down at 20 mph can do some major damage. This crash put me out for the past 3 weeks with a bruised hip, quadricep, and some road rash.

"It's and old give and take and I took again." It comes with competing. Sometimes I make good decisions and other times I make bad ones. I love pushing myself and find out I can do more then what I thought I could. Sometimes the results are fatigue, injury, sickness... lifting weights in the gym, laps in the pool, miles on the bike, or seconds on the run. I know that it will benefit me when the time comes. It becomes more emotional then rational.

This song always is in my head during a race. It reminds me that I will succeed where others fail. Exploit someones weakness, then turn it into an advantage. "I'm going to watch you fold like a house of cards". There comes a time and place for risk to be taken. The winners succeed because they have a bit of confidence that is unmeasurable in comparison to the field. They succeeded because they knew they could.


"Gonna land, No matter how hard"
And get right back up to keep going. I may fall, but that hasn't stopped me before. Maybe it's not a good thing to associate with a song called Crash Burn, I'm sure my cycling friends are now scratching my name from the weekly ride invites upon reading this. Like the song says "Crash Burn, When will I Learn"










Congrats to my Friends Chad/Betzy,
and Jody/Julie





No comments:

Post a Comment