November 25, 2013

All this in the base

Sunday 8a.m. 

I roll into the the parking lot of Jack and Adams 39 degrees on the thermostat. Damp, windy, and more rain in the forecast. I'm on my way to meet some friends for a training run.

Six cars already parked and they are all empty. I'm not alone in believing that a running this morning is a good idea. Despite the less-then-fair conditions this morning, I hit the trail and find satisfaction that I'm not alone in my irrational behavior. Seeing friends pass by, some in progress of their workouts, others are simply acquiring their mileage tally for the week. The cold and gloominess seems to reduce as the distance increases from the car. I meet my friends and come to the aid in the completion of their long run workout.

I'm currently in the prescribed base phase of training. The weekly schedule focuses on getting my legs, arms, lungs, heart, and head ready for the 2014 campaign. During this we add volume over time.  And Then (Duh Duh Daaah. That's Right, Dino DNA) ...sorry, "Jurassic Park" quote

Seems simple right? Right, well there happens to be a bit more in the equation. A large portion of success come also from emotional and psychological preparations when the season roles around. Fatigue can rear its ugly little head in more ways then just physical. That 8 pound mass atop your shoulders has the ability to make or break the moment if and when we start thinking about how we feel.

It can crush you, or hold you down
Last season my hip injury was a large hurdle and exhaustive experience. Derailing my plans I found myself throwing everything I had to cope with it. (Have you ever used profane words to your injury?) By the end of the season, my frustration and the injury had consumed my efforts. This injury caused me to DNF my last race of the season.

At that point I had totally lost perspective on what I had accomplished during 2013. (Which goes to show the powers of negative thoughts)

Looking back at 2013 I can say that I had done what I set out to do. See how I handle reaching the next level as an athlete. This season was a great step forward in the direction of progress. But, I lost focus of balance. I struggled to manage work, training, recovery, and personal life. This imbalance was a doomed see-saw, that undoubtably lead to my recurring injury by September.

I have resumed training. I am working to balance the aspects of my life before they effect me. The immense sacrifices of time and money cannot be overlooked. Those two factors unfortunately add excessive stress, but I do my best to not let those beget negatively at my goals.


Fool me twice...


I would not wake up early, brave the weather, sacrifice time, take the risk if I didn't think it was worth it. No matter what, I need to be thankful for the support and belief that my family and friends provide me. Take those moments that evoke good times and use them to move forward. Let go of the negative experience so that it cannot poison my attitude.


The excitement is still there, like an ember, ready to be stoked into a brilliant blaze for 2014.








Congrats to my coach and his wife: on the second addition to your family, and future racing team
-All the Best


Experience has taught me how important it is to just keep going, focusing on running fast and relaxed. Eventually it passes and the flow returns. It's part of racing.
-Frank Shorter



No comments:

Post a Comment