January 3, 2013

New Year, Same Goals, Different Outlook.

Happy Holidays,

Glad they are over...

It's been some time since my last post. Nothing too exciting to report on the front lines. I have been boring myself with winter weather base training. Swimming in warm pools on cold days, staying inside on the bike trainer and jogging around town in my cold weather gear. The good ole' volume building has gearing up for what is to come on the 2013 calendar. 

Typically, I am ramping up my running mileage trying to destroy myself at the Bandera 50k Trail race the at the beginning of January. I will be unfortunately breaking tradition this year and not making the trip to my favorite event with my friends at Alpine Cowboy, instead I have committed to the year of the triathlon. (Yes ladies, that means more half naked race shots on Facebook. No race speedos... maybe)

This all started with an idea that I had a couple months ago at the conclusion of my 2012 season. What if I went all in? I stewed on this idea trying to weigh my options on the results and the effects it would have upon my life and the that of my friends and family. I recently made the decision to step away from my career with US Soccer and the path to become a professional referee. I am never happy to quit and lay down from a goal, unfortunately I found the end of that road sooner then I wanted.

That decision lead to the recognition of this concept. "How we handle the challenges we encounter, define us as a person." With that change I have back tracked and now regaining my bearings on what is next. Carrying over the same work ethic and conviction I built upon with all the years of soccer I will now refocus my energy in my attempt to succeed upon my next goal in life.

Am I ready, am I good enough? 


I must recognize that I will have to catch up to the seasoned athlete who has been attempting this same goal for many years. Talent helps, yet hard work gets you there. Specialized coaching will provided the solution to help me clear these hurdles. I have reached out to Derick with Durata Training to provide me with overall guidance and training. He coaches many of the local athletes that I already train with, so it was only fitting. Assessing my swim weakness (shocking!) I am spending my winter in the pool and with swim coach Kim with Brackin Elite training to break down the the details of efficient form. 

Eager with anticipation of what is to come in 2013. I look forward to seeing my friends and family throughout the year and hope that they can provide me with the right support and guidance when I need it. This will be a challenge that will provide me with moments of excitement and happiness, while also presenting moments of disappointment and frustration. No matter the result I must continue the hard work and continue onward. This ebb and flow of experience will guide me on a new path that I look forward to sharing with all of you.


Do not be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better. What if they are a little course, and you may get your coat soiled or torn? What if you do fail, and get fairly rolled in the dirt once or twice. Up again, you shall never be so afraid of a tumble.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



A great read about training from Pat Evoe in this months Austin Fit Magazine A Page from the Pro's Book

No comments:

Post a Comment