October 2, 2012

Lose With A Smile, Triathlon Season Wrap Up

“Everything you need is already inside.”
As I walked through downtown Kerrville to head back to transition, I spotted this book in the front window of a local Bookstore. I could not help but smile and take in the irony of the moment. All of the other books turned to be ignored, but this particular one was determined for me to notice. I took the long walk back to collect my gear from the days race. And reflected on the results from a great year.

Till this point, I thought I had ended my season on a high note. At the Tri Rock Triathlon during the Labor Day weekend. The race resulted in my first top ten finish racing in the open/elite division, I was content and ready to end my season with the PR under my cap. Coming off a very difficult training block I was glad to season come to a close.

Instead, I decided to race one more time. The Kerrville Triathlon Festival offered a quarter distance race (1,000m swim, 29mile bike, 6.4 run) that was a skewed olympic distance race. Favoring my strengths ... my swimming sucks!... the long bike and long run was more then a tempting offer.

Leading up to race day was a a cosmic cluster of events that had me clueless on how the weekend would go. Piss poor weather, bike mechanical issues, car problems.... I can drag this out more if you would like.
But, stronger minds prevail. I make it to the west Texas town with a mind ready to race. Meeting a couple of friends who were also set to race the quarter and half iron distance, I realized that we all faced the same conditions. We dropped our bikes and gear of at transition and grabbed a hearty meal at a local cafe and brewhouse, then head to the hotel to make our race day care bag of gear and get some shut eye.


Electrical Tape Cures All!

Checking in on my bike race morning in transition. Soggy from the nights rains I pull it off the rack to have the mechanics take one last look. Where the hell are my arm pads?! Re-tracing my steps I find them trampled, dirty, and neglected by the other athletes face down in the mud. I pick them up dust them off tell them how much I missed them... Let's tape those down for good measure.

Wet suit on, ready for my typically poor performance in the swim leg. I come out of the water. (18:19, 20th) I see the leaders scurry up the hill to transition... I'M IN IT. Peel off the wet suit and hit the bike, game on!

I mount the Time Bandit. The pursuit of the leaders burning in my legs. Windy and cool condition only intensified my effort. No fears of overheating I wanted to catch the lead group and then put them behind me to chase. We form a lead pack and make our way through the west texas country roads. Exchanging the lead, regaining the lead. It was a race. (64:30, 1st) I led the group into transition, ready for the run, shoes and number assemble as if I was "Ironman". I leave with a small group (Paul, Jeff) nipping at my heels.

Out of the final transition, Jeff and I hit the 6.4 mile course cautiously attentive to each others efforts we make ground on the 6.4 mile run. Knowing who is pursuit the only thought is go forward and swiftly, sorry Paul. Most times we hold a shoulder to shoulder position. He surges, I cover. I go, he covers. Rounding our first lap in town the I hear the announcer make the call on the race, "these two athletes are racing for the victory!" We head out again for the final lap and I make an effort to break, get some space but cannot hold. We meet again. 1000m he goes we round the straight at his heels, I'm good. Half mile HE GOES AGAIN! Breaks and I chase helplessly. (39:24, 2nd)... he ran 39:12. Good race Jeff

I'm not lementing on the result, I left what I had in me on the course that morning. This 2nd place overall finish marks my best result of my career. I know reprieve from the Triathlon season content with my performance. I will leave this burning ember stoked ready to spark the fire for next season.

I have mentioned before I have settled into my work, training, and life with an appreciation of the opportunity. The environment that I have surrounded myself has accounted to my growth. I will now reach for challenges, but make sure I keep one foot to the ground.


Good Luck to Everyone Racing Kona



Thank You:
JBH
JR
Felt Bicycles
Saucony footwear



Post Race Amenities in the VIP
Done, and Done
Do I look Like A Winner?



2nd Overall, 1st 25-29 Age Group

No comments:

Post a Comment