September 23, 2012

Walk the Walk, Talk the Talk

Gunna Keep it Together! Still a work in Progress...



While I have been living in Austin, both my work and training have provided the opportunity of friendships that I have been fortunate enough to have. The influence that these friends and training companions have contributed to me have sparked a level of nothing less then inspiration when it comes to how I examine challenges and goals.

As I sober up from my post Olympic, Tour De France, and European Championship high. I look back from what has driven me through work, racing, and most importantly life. I have been working on inscribing these thoughts to this blog for some time. It's not perfect, but it makes sense to me. I have been scribbling short hand notes for some time. This comes from my daily activities of reading books, quotes, journals, and blogs. I have attempted to twist, bend, and manipulate multiple concepts in order to sculpt an idea that for me gives me something to grasp. The nice thing about idea is that they can be changed from further learning. I hope that this serves as fuel for your fire...

Mo·ti·va·tion -n. [moh-tuh-vey-shuhn]

1.  the act or an instance of motivating
2.  desire to do; interest or drive
3.  incentive or inducement


Motivation starts as a thought. The thought is the selection of an idea, the idea comes from a concept that "I Can, if I choose to". In order for this idea to be executed we must take that thought and turn it into words that we can define the goal, by defining the the general concept, this allows us to turn the idea into a more definitive action. Then if we chose our words must become our actions

Even in difficult times when we are presented with distractions and obstacles we must continue to have the drive that turns these barriers into simple hurdles that we can put behind us. We should recognize that our skills, talent, and ability are the tools that allow us to overcome the challenge at hand and maintain the direction towards progress. We must continually sharpen our tools to be prepared. They should not be a substitute for hard work and perseverance. 

Progress is a result of what momentum can do. Recognizing that the continuation of a those action and behavior that will result from it. Momentum is a concept of physics, a body in motion wants to stay in motion. When we align habits, they should become second nature, we recognize what is the result and repeat to reproduce the outcome. When we have a streak of successful results we want to continue this feeling of euphoria. Often times we look at people who have good fortune or extraordinary performance and question how they are able to achieve the outcome. They simply do, they don't question, they execute. The results are a simple equation of 1+1, the result is because they have not succumb to any external factors.

Unfortunately we began to contradict what has been working, because external factors began to effect our results. The who, what, when, where and why begin to get asked and those thoughts become a great burdens that affect the process. At any time you can question a result from an exponential set directions, or simply except it, for what it is. When success has escaped us we must find intrinsic and/or extrinsic ideas that began the momentum process all over again. Simply put, get the ball rolling.

I know this concept is not a perfect argument and it still has many flaws in its' structure. That's why this idea is only something to chew on, as food for thought. We are all effected by results and events in our lives differently, this is apparent, but how we chose to move on and progress past those hurdles is the real challenge. We can lay down and succumb to the difficulties, or dust ourselves off and drive on.

I have decided not to conclude this post because I want to leave it open ended. I plan on revising this as experience and time allow. Instead I leave you with a quote that I have had on my doorway since I was in college.



What if you do fail, and get fairly rolled in the dirt once or twice.
 Up again, you shall never be so afraid of a tumble. 
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson


No comments:

Post a Comment