July 24, 2012

SPEEDdon't

If you are not able laugh at yourself, then you are missing out on the big joke everyone else gets. 

Every once in a while, we need to have a little fun with life.



Post Race Shenanigans
I would like to begin my three part apology with hoping no eyes are still burning, no stomachs are left churning and no kids have been stricken with nightmares...


My latest adventure involved a dare that resulted in the following tuxedo speedo to be worn during the Jack and Adams Couples Triathlon.


If any of you have learned anything about me from reading my blog. You better beware of challenges that can result in a moment of silliness. I always except, and I typically never regret it. 


Couples tri was a much needed break from my routine. I have been struggling with my nagging injury once again and have been taking my training to a daily status in order to prevent a severe injury that could end my year. This race is shorter sprint style race that has 3 disciplines cut in order to go faster. The damage done is less then an Olympic distance race and allowed me to train through the race instead of my usual taper, with the goal of testing the status of my foot.




Nervous as hell, not from stacked field of the race, but more of the fact that I was about to embarrass myself in front of a lot people. Waiting until the 9th hour to unveil the tux-speedo, The whole time I was thinking how all the old school guys from the tri-scene did it for years. After lathering my saddle with half a tub of petroleum jelly I was starting to settle the nerves focusing on the race. This addition to my usual pre race ritual brought a smile to my face, for how ridiculous I must have looked to all the other racers around me. Little did they know what they had coming.


Swim 800m Time 15:19 Rank 6th

Like usual, no matter the distance in the water, I come out like 3rd period French class... Dropped. Behind and waterlogged I chase down the the leaders into transition. At this point I am already questioning why they call it a speedo when clearly I was going slow. One positive that I can point out was my ability to avoid the buoys with my head this race. Eventually I will improve at this whole swimming thing.



Bike 11.2miles Time 29:25 Rank 1st



Return to Transition, Sorry Kids don't look
A solid ride on a great course around Decker lake in east Austin. Now we are talking! C'mon legs! Can't quite explain the inspiration that I felt and how I was able to gas a ride like that. Tagging people on the course on the climbs and on the descents. Such an invigorating feeling to move at speed on a bike. The brain shuts off and the body just does what it is trained to do. This shorter distance on the bike allowed me to push my pace knowing that it would be over sooner then I was trained for. Making up my lost time from the water I was feeling good with my pace, legs felt strong, the wind cooled me down, and the smell of smoke from my saddle fueled my desire to get off my bike. Smokey the Bear was pissed at the risk for a fire, the petroleum had worn off early and I had no other option, but to ride quicker.
Running Free

Run 5k 18:38 Rank 1st

In and out of transition I hit the course with minor damages from the bike. I keep pace swift and start seeing the lead group from the wave before me in site. The only thing I can do is chase and hope that I can catch them if they are tired. Running on a cross country course the rolling terrain favored the strong. Hills ate the group alive as there pace slowed down. I was able to edge out a couple of guys very early out of transition and imagined that they where chasing me. Rounding the final turn we had about a 1k straight that allowed me to see whats ahead. I see two runners with in distance to catch, I make my move... I make my Move... I make my MOVE!... Nope to Tired. Close the gap but no energy to pass them I will settle for 20th overall. It's Over


Couples Tri 2012 1st Place Individual

Special Thanks:

JBH, JR

No comments:

Post a Comment