June 18, 2012

Competition, Agony, Reward, Sacrifice, and Achievement

A recent conversation with a friend has had me turning over in my thoughts. I guess because of my environment right now I have been immersed in the glory of sports (Olympic trials, Euro championships, Triathlon, Soccer...).  The key topic was about what it takes to race, and the results that ensue. Words that applied to sports got thrown around, and in context they would motivate any person to strive to do there best, but it was far from a simple concept.

Perception is a funny thing. Not everyone looks at things identically, but often times they can come to the same conclusion if they find a compromise or simply a common point. When it comes to competing perception is definitely spread in a million different directions. But you have to respect what works, and what does not. Be willing to adapt to the success and reject the failure with the ability to understand the result of the outcome.  Both of us having two different athletic backgrounds, myself former soccer player turned multi sport and runner, and she is a runner, a damn good one too...

This brings me to my point, everyone knows that winning is not normal. If it was it would not be called winning, simply we would refer to it as doing. What it takes to excel above all others is not normal, it is extraordinary. The concept is that success brings an immediate differential between yourself and all others. Is it normal to accept this or do we continue to strive to separate ourselves from other against us?

From what I have experienced in my life so far has shaped my thoughts of what it takes to excel, I leave this question to you.

What must you do in order to achieve success, to achieve victory, simply to win?



No comments:

Post a Comment