September 28, 2014

Sidelined

Happy Saturday!

Don't call it a comeback

Where have I been? Let me explain. June 28th I ended up the hospital with a class 3 sprain to my ankle. The result of taking a misplaced step while carrying a tent on my shoulders. X-rays indicated no break or fractures. Instead I awake the next morning, in a great deal of pain, with an ankle that resembled a snake that swallowed a softball. 

Mobility at 0 degrees the prescribed 6-8weeks of recovery left me on crutches for 3 weeks and a goofy hobble for another 2 weeks. Anxiously awaiting the go ahead for PT, I had no choice but to opt out all remaining races for the season. So long 2014 race campaign.

One of these is not like the other
With the help of PT at 6 weeks I marked a return to light activity. Morning on the bike trainer, short walks, swims and drills. PT started to regain range of motion. We got excited the first day of 3 degrees (15 is normal), Rome wasn't built in a day.

Without a doubt I was afraid of hearing the worst with the weekly visits to therapy, surgery. But instead, the results were positive on a weekly bases. Mobility and strength found its way back.


Begin slow and steady recovery... Kinda Nice. 

During my down time of July and August I found the time to for real grown up stuff. I collaborated with local artist Bradilio, Lucas Aoiki, and Mike Johnston to produce an art project in my store. Watched a good friend get married, started filming a web-show on Flotrack called Gear Geek, and took an amazing vacation with my girlfriend to South Carolina.


To return to the question at hand, where have a been, I've been right where I belong. Putting in the work, enjoying the good times and pushing on for the next opportunity. Looking back that day in the hospital bed I planned for the worst.

My assessment only accounted for the physical damage. The support of my family and friends was a fair greater influence. So what if you should fall, up again, you should never be afraid of the tumble. So I missed some chances to race, didn't improve upon what I have planned for this season. Instead something great came out of something unfortunate, an opportunity was made where I typically would not consider looking.  

With all said and done, I still am excited about whats to come with racing along with everything else. Yeah, I took a bad step. I've also had bad races, returned to the starting line and had a great race. You gotta take the bad with the good. It teaches you to appreciate the exactly what you have. More importantly you are able to look back and see what you have accomplished.

Up Again
First Race Back:
Tour De Gruene Solo Time Trial Nov 8th

No comments:

Post a Comment