August 20, 2013

2013 US Age Group Championships

Before the Time Penalty

I can give you two option on this one...

Look to the right, see the results, 

Quick Breakdown:

Men's division 25-29: 46/151 Athletes
Largest division at championships 
2,719 participated

USAT Official Results

240th 2:08:11.93
*2 minute bike penalty

Swim 23:21 498 1:25/100m 

T:1 1:56 

Bike 1:01:05 254 24.4mph

T2 01:01 

Undetermined. +2:00.00

Run 38:51 175 6:15/mile


Now I get to complete the storyline...


Swim 23:21 498 1:25/100m 

All Smiles, before the start...
As the 12th wave of the day we were locked out from transition for some 2hrs before. Most of my time was spent laying down and spectating the preceding triathletes swim and then get on the bike course. 
10 minutes till start we are given the go ahead for in-water warm-up, we made our way down the pier to the final dock. My nerves quiver as I realize that the time for collecting my thoughts are over and it is time to race. One of the first in the water for warmup I leap from the dock and begin stroke drills to adapt to the 68 degree water. Out the furthest from the dock, I turn to look back and see all 151 competitors latched on to the starting wall, set for 9:30 start, most are clinching the wall or treading water to await the call from the gun.

The gun goes...something like the running of the bulls, but in the water, I work to get to the front of the group and bust-ass to the first turn buoy. A couple of knocks and bumps I find feet and settle in to the pack. I find a good pace and make the move to someones feet to block current for me. Sighting on occasion I look up to make sure I have a group within reach. Comfortably painful, I hold pace and bring it in with about 10 other swimmers to the dock exit. Busted ass on the water exit from the soaked ramp I slip-n-slide my way out of the water onto dry land. This was 13 seconds off my best time of the season



Bike 1:01:05 254 24.4mph



A swift T1 from the water I find my bike, ditch the wetsuit pretty quickly, and exit with a solid flying mount. Not knowing my swim time because I did not start my watch at the swim, I rode the bike with fresh time on the clock. I wanted to get as much time back from the bike course, and leave nothing to chance for the run. 

The only thought in my head was catch the next person, and put them behind me. Working the field, I begin to get my confidence as I pick off single riders at first, and then in pairs, and then in bunches... keep moving. 

At this point 11 other waves are on the bike course and it is easy to keep moving with the flow of traffic because you have another wave to catch and move on to the next. Trying not to look at my electronics, I push effort to a steady heavy breath and labored quick legs. 


With the last couple of turns coming from a huge downhill, I make up some more time pushing the turns and holding my top speed for the last moments. Slip my feet from my cleats and bring it home... I finally glance down at my screen to see the 1:01:04, I was on pace for goal.


Run 38:51 175 6:15/mile


Legs felt good, body felt sharp, head was in the game. I had a similar strategy from the bike, keep catching athletes through 5k, then settle for 2k, recover and go after it with everything you have. 

Gaining momentum quickly, I feel swift. No 100 degree temps, soft grass courses, or sharp turns. Conditions where on my side, it was my race for the taking, I knew had about 36 minutes to go, I push the pace and go after my time goal. Rounding the 5k bend, I spot my wrist for a 17min and change 5k. I use progress on the field to keep my head in the game and my legs from getting tired. 

At this point I have gained some company, a fellow age grouper sits in off my hip. He was breathing heavy, I used him to push me forward, he unfortunately clips me 2 times and I can't help but shout at him to back the hell off. Frustrated I work to drop him. I hear his heavy breath back off from my shoulders. I catch another runner, we share pace so I sit to recover. Working together through 6k on to 7k we are side-by-side. Then, what can only be describe as paralysis of analysis, I start thinking... Can I hold this, is he going to go, should I go, how much is left, how much time do I have... I began to weigh myself down with stupid thoughts in the moment. Then he surges a couple steps, we are no longer side by side, what should be okay, I begin to panic... we hit 7k and I break. I can't explain why, but the feeling of freshness is leaving me, I don't feel positive anymore, I start thinking about what is going wrong... these negative thoughts start bombarding me, the frustrating is overwhelming, for what feels like minutes, but I know, that it is only seconds. I could still reach out and touch him, but I can't catch him. One step turns into 2,3,4 then he is up the road. I fall off but work to hold on, I hate frustration it carries such a heavy burden. (oh great heavy breather is back! He is passing my too... what else can go wrong!?) 

I round the last mile thinking that I have completely popped from my race. Can't slow down, can't go any faster I bring it in through the finish line. Not knowing my official time because I only have 2 portions clocked in, I find the ground and lay down to collect myself. I don't know what has just happened. 



2:06.11

Arriving in Milwaukee I had a race goal set for 2 hours or better. With that I would see if that gets me onto the podium. That would maybe qualify for a roll down to Age Group World Championships.

Achievable, maybe... Lofty, maybe... Possible, It's in me. I believe so, I know so. But on that day, it would take everything I have. I tried, I can't doubt that. I went after it with nothing to loose.

I would be lying if I didn't say that this entry wasn't hard to write, because I didn't know how to transcribe what I was thinking... truth is I have never gone after such a big goal in a short time. I started focusing on this goal last november, and started working with my coach Jamie, in February. The year has brought on much experience in things well beyond the race itself. Morals, values, discipline, constancy, and accountability have all been tested during this year. I fought off injury, and came back. I dealt with stress and pushed through it. I worked as hard as I could with every opportunity I was given. Some people supported me, others doubted. But, I used that to continue with reaching to achieve what I had set out for. 

I look at what happened that day as another lesson and will put that in my back pocket not to loom on the past, but stay excited for the future. I find myself still hungry, still passionate, still excited to see what is to come... 



Thanks for Everything that you have done:




Luke's Locker
Jack and Adams
Jamie Cleveland/Hill Country Running/ Texas Iron
Kim Brackin/ Best Swim Training
Felt Bicycles
State Wheels
Saucony
Powerbar



In between Texas and Arkansas 



No comments:

Post a Comment