June 6, 2013

B is For Benchmark, CapTexTri Recap

Let's Do This...

Before you get all excited and ready to ready my sarcastic descriptions of my race, I would like to catch you up to speed on the past month. Don't worry, it won't take long, what else do you have to do today?

Fancy Motivational Quote
To quote the famous philosopher Bill S. Preston Esquire, "Most Excellent!" is the only way I can describe the month of May. Brimming with experiences, challenges, and lessons learned the days where nothing short of (insert descriptive adjective). I cannot help but attribute these experiences to the environment that I am surrounded by and the people that fill up my days with interactions. In short I have learned to stop and look around on occasion, this makes things much more interesting then putting my head down and barreling through things. I do this enough in my training. If I don't take pride in the things that I'm doing then I'm not working on the right things.



Anywhoo... Back to why you read this in your spare time, gratuitous information on how my race unfolded.

Charlie, Sarah, Jeff, & Jody
CapTexTri was in the training logs as a benchmark race that would define my remaining training schedule until Aug. Put a star on a calendar, set that annoying reminder in your smartphone, post little sticky notes in random places, or what ever it takes to notate the importance of this event. I had been training steady since January slowly shaving away the trimming of excess and getting my workload more specific. CapTex was going to provide me with a reality check, one way or another, on what my season will need to shape up. 

The race atmosphere is very unique, because it blends the professional with the elite, and age group newcomers. This large event provides an excellent and challenging opportunity to see what you have in the tanks... On top of this an unofficial co-worker challenge materialized from weeks of jive talking speculation. My two good friends and fellow employees Jody, and Jeff had been billed to throw down for bragging rights around the water cooler.

Nervous, anxious, excited like any good athlete feels the days leading up to the big event, we drop our bikes off to stage in transition 24hrs before.

Race morning arrive a bit late to the shop (nature problems) walk over to T1 and prep my space for the day. I follow my silly pseudo superstition and lay down my pink beach towel and prep the bike and running shoes. I really did not have much time for a warmup in transition. Cleared out of transition early I rushed my meticulous rituals and headed for the shore.

Swim

Short of a clever description, I swam... very well! 23:34 that is a 5 minute PR in the water. I came out with the main cluster of 20 in 19th place. Realized that I stood a fighting chance as I approached transition with the pack, I had to re-focus due to the outcome. Still had some open water issues like swimming in the pack, not drifting, but for another time. Ditched the Blueseventy wetsuit grabbed the helmet, shades and bike and off I went on the long transition for the bike.
Ludicrous Speed Go!

Bike

The 40k course is a 10k loop of downtown Austin done 4 times. This crit like bike leg requires both strength and handling skills. The excitement of my new State wheels and goofy Giro  helmet I hit the roads pretty hard trying to catch the ground of the leaders. The technical course has a good way of disrupting the pedal stroke with turns, climbs, other riders it was tough to find a good rhythm. I rode strong spite the flat feelings I managed to make up some time on the group successfully negotiated 3.5 laps I grab for the bottle one last time to finish remaining of my race day formula. Sucked dry its time to ditch the bottle... the bottle got the best of me, as I throw the bottle to the curb it sticks to my hand and simultaneously knocks my bars and sends me into a wobble. Just make it back to T2. 64min 23.3mph










Run 


Rack the bike, have a helmet sunglasses and brain malfunction. Get the figured out throw on the Saucony racing flats and head out on the 10k in 15th place. Getting my bearing I quickly pick off 3 runners within the first mile. The good swift sensation surges through my body I focus on rehydrating keeping a rhythm and making progress on the field. The course is a 2 loop 5k course that runs around the shores and through downtown. I blame user error, but every cup I grabbed at aid seemed to be nearly empty. Building up a deficit I try not to focus and simply put the chaser behind me and catch the break as quickly as I can. Hitting the first turn on the out-n-back I am able to count the field I sit in 12th and can see 11,10,9 within 30 seconds. Starting the second lap I push through the uncomfort and edge out 11th... mine. 10/9 are within 5 seconds I can do this. 2k to go I start to tighten, more so on my left leg. Breathe, relax, I think the lack of hydration caught up! Hamstring cramp.. AHHHH. I halt and immediately check behind to see... wait he is walking and cramping too. We both begin limping with urgency. I stop to extend the leg and take a big breath then exhale. 600m to go, walk, jog, then Run. Finish with a solid effort, but lost 10/9 during the walking phase.  38:05 6th fastest run, but -2 minutes from last years time.
Oh, Really?!
I have my critical assessments on the race, but thats not for you to worry about. I cannot take for granted and enjoy the overall success of the start of the season at my goal distance. I have gained 5 minutes in the water and 1 minute on the bike. I have worked for this result and can say that I earned what I wanted. No race is the same, the only thing is take the effort and apply it consistently. Each day is difficult, but no one day will define me, this will be a culmination of cumulative work over time... It's Physics, You know Newton and stuff.

Thank You to My Family, Friends and supporters:

Photos: Kreutzphotography
Luke's Locker
Jack and Adams
The cool gear I use:
Felt Bikes
State Wheels
Giro
Saucony
Blueseventy
Pearl Izumi



No comments:

Post a Comment